The Act requires the following -- On or after 12/20/08, all suction outlet fittings and covers made, imported, or sold in the U.S. must be certified to comply with ASME/ANSI A 112.19.8, 2007 version. - As of 12/20/08, all public pools and spas, both new and existing, be equipped with certified covers on every suction outlet. -As of 12/20/08, every public pool and spa, new and existing, that has a single outlet, other than an unblockable outlet, must employ one or more of the following additional options:
- Safety vacuum release system (SVRS) that complies with ANSI/ASME A112.19.17 or ASTM F2387; or
- Suction limiting vent system; or
- Gravity drainage system; or
- Automatic pump shut-off; or
- Drain disablement; or
- Equivalent system that may be approved by the CPSC.